The Tongariro Northern Circuit is one of New Zealand's most popular walks in the North Island. The circuit which is over 3-4 days takes you through some of the most amazing landscapes, from the emerald lakes to rocky deserts and native New Zealand bush.
Start your packing list! Organise your meals for your trip well in advance.
Day 1: Whakapapa Village to Mangatepopo Hut
4 hours, 9.4 km
Day 2: Mangatepopo Hut to Oturere Hut 5 hours,12 km
- Mount Ngauruhoe on the right
- Pukekaikiore (One of Tongariro’s steam vent)
- Climb up Te Arawhata
- Red Crater
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- Emerald Lakes (Ngā Rotopounamu)
- Side trip (30-minute return) - Blue Lake
- Oturere valley
Day 3: Oturere Hut to Waihohonu Hut 3 hours, 8.1km
- Waihohonu Stream
- Base of Mount Ngauruhoe
Day 4: Waihohonu Hut to Whakapapa Village 5 hours 45 min, 15.4km
- Mount Ngauruhoe on your right
- Mount Ruapehu on your left
- Tama lakes (Ngā Puna a Tama)
- Taranaki Falls
- Whakapapa Village
Book the shuttle to and from the track One way shuttles to the Mangatepopo car park, Whakapapa Village and back to National Park Village. $20 one way.
Click here For more tips read reviews of this journey on TripAdvisor
Check out our meal range here!
Leave a comment